Stress can bring instability into your harmonious life. The feeling of being depressed and anxious is mostly self-created due to strong emotions and thoughts which harm your mental stability. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, on an average scale both anxiety and depression go hand in hand, most anxiety disorders and phobias are accompanied by depression.
Yoga is universally acclaimed to be the best solution for purifying the mind, body and soul. Accompanied with slow body movements and through silent meditation this eastern art will give you new insights. Here are a few poses that will help you ease your anxiety disorders and lead a stress-free life.
1.Child’s Pose – Balasana
- Firstly, sit on your heels with your hands resting on your thighs. Slowly, after one breath, lower your belly and chest to rest on your thighs and bring your forehead on the floor.
- Relax your arms by keeping it by your shins, palms facing upwards. Stay in this posture for a few seconds and slowly soften your breath.
- Take 5 to 10 deep breaths as this asana stretches your lower back and hips.
- This comforting asana lengthens and stretches the spine which normalizes the blood circulation throughout the body.
2.Bridge Pose – Sethu Bandha Sarvangasana
- Lay in Savasana, and close your eyes, visualising yourself in the classic bridge pose. Here you can bend your knees, keeping your feet flat on the floor slightly apart, palms on the floor.
- Inhale as you lift your hips while pressing your shoulders and upper arms to the floor to balance your body weight. Hold the posture for 5 to 10 breaths and slowly slide back on to your yoga mat.
- This challenging asana will increase the flexibility of your spine, mitigating anxiety and relaxing your central nervous system.
3.Cobra Pose- Bhujangasana
- Lay flat on your stomach keeping your feet together. Move your hands forward and make sure to keep your hands parallel to your shoulder, palms facing down.
- Now as you inhale press your palms down to transfer the body weight to the palm, slowly raise your head and upper body upwards.
- Keep your arms close to your elbows and expand your shoulders and breathe for 15 to 30 seconds on the floor.
- Bhujangasana is an amazing backbend which makes the spine stronger and flexible. It regulates metabolism, it works as a great stress reliever and will leave you feeling energetic for the entire day.
4.Downward-Facing Dog Pose- Adho Mukha Svanasana
- From the Cobra pose, press your palms towards the floor and raise your hip off the ground, keeping your feet flat on the floor, slightly apart.
- Try to make your body look like an inverted V by pushing your thighs back and balancing your weight on your arms and legs. Hold this posture for 4 to 8 breaths and release it by going to child’s pose.
- As this pose strengthens and stretches most of the body, it reduces fatigue and helps in focusing the mind for a joyful day.
5.Wheel Pose- Chakrasana
- Lay down on your mat with your knees bent and your feet slightly apart. Keep your chin up facing the sky, opening your throat.
- Now keep your palms closely behind your shoulders, note that your fingers should be pointing towards your body.
- Now inhale and firmly press your palms and feet to the floor and engaging your core to lift your hips.
- Try not to squeeze your butt. Open up your shoulders while holding this posture for 5 to 10 breaths.
- To release, lower your back and slowly slide towards the mat bending your knees and slowly bringing your head down.
- This pose stretches the chest and lungs to increase breathing capacity and helps curing respiratory illness.
While practising these postures try to tune into some uplifting music to make your practice more enjoyable. With a daily meditation and yoga practice you can bring your mind and body to a happier state of being.
These postures promise you an amazing day ahead!